Phase 3 is for three weeks and begins 72 hours (not days) after the last HCG dose.1 In my opinion, Phase 3 is the most important phase. I didn’t believe that in the beginning. Now I realize the importance of it. If you do not stabilize your weight loss you will more than likely gain some of your weight back. I absolutely love Phase 3. I literally jumped for joy on the days I started it. It is so easy. Just the fact that you can now eat whenever you want makes a huge difference. In fact it showed my how psychological it is because now that I can go in and snack, I don’t need too. You will learn a lot about yourself in this phase. You will also realize how some of your cravings have changed and how you will get full much faster then before you started the HCG Diet. You will really enjoy this phase if you concentrate on what you can eat instead of what you can’t. This is why I thought it was so important to have a Recipe Club for Phase 3. Through my many rounds, a lot of things that I have learned to love to eat on an everyday basis are Phase 3 legal and completely satisfying.
In Phase 3 you eat normally with the exception of no sugar and no starch. Make sure to read the article on Starches to Avoid. You need to continue to drink plenty of water daily.1
During this period, the so-called carbohydrates, that is sugar, rice, bread, potatoes, pastries, etc., are by far the most dangerous. If no carbohydrates whatsoever are eaten, fats can be indulged in somewhat more liberally. As soon as fats and starch are combined, things are very liable to get out of hand. This has to be observed very carefully during the first 3 weeks after the treatment is ended, otherwise, disappointments are almost sure to occur.1
Eat something six times per day. It is very important to eat a full breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and have three snacks, ideally consisting of a minimum of two apples and a grapefruit per day.2 & 3
The goal of Phase 3 is to maintain your new weight loss, not to lose more weight.2 Do not gain or lose more than 2 lbs. since your last dose day. If you lose more than 2 pounds it will most likely be muscle that you lose, not fat. This is important because the hypothalamus is being reset, as is the body’s “base weight”, and any weight loss during this time frame is at the expense of normal fat which is easily regained later.1
Weigh yourself daily as it takes about three weeks before the weight reached at the end of the Phase 2 treatment becomes stable (ex. does not show violent fluctuations after an occasional excess).1
Helpful Phase 3 Suggestions:
1) It may help to eat two apples and one grapefruit per day.
2) Be careful with very sweet fruit.1 eg. Bananas, Melons, Peaches, Pineapple
3) It may be helpful to sparingly eat nuts, seeds, cheese, milk, and yogurt, having a maximum of only one serving per day.
4) Experience has taught me that if you keep your calories between 1800 – 2,000 per day you should be able to maintain if you are eating correctly. I hate to count calories but I definitely have an idea when I am probably going over 2,000. The best way to get your calories is vegetables and protein with a little fat, fruit and nuts added in. However, if you are eating very little protein and vegetables and snacking constantly on fruit, nuts and cheese you will have a harder time stabilizing. Remember you are figuring out what your body needs and reacts too. You were getting a lot of calories from your own fat when you were on the HCG. You need to eat enough food to keep your metabolism working at a higher level.
5) It may be helpful to eliminate or limit carrots, corn, beets, and any other type of starchy vegetable.
6) No highly refined and super highly refined foods, including white sugar and white flour.3
When People Have a Hard Time on [Phase 3] It Is Usually:
1) Not eating enough food, especially protein – you should be eating a minimum of 1500 calories. In general, we do not encourage counting calories, but if you are a lifetime dieter, you may try to keep eating too little to avoid gaining back the weight you just lost. This is a major, common mistake. In these circumstances we encourage someone to add up the calories to make sure they are eating enough (not to limit what they are eating). According to Dr. Simeons, HCG is releasing 1500 to 4000 calories into your system and you are eating another 500 calories, so theoretically your system has been revved up to handle 2000-4500 calories PER DAY. You can see how going into the maintenance phase and ‘cutting back’ to 800 or 1200 would send your body back into the ‘grab everything and hold on to it’/starvation mode (p. 32).2
2) Eating sugars and starches (intentionally or not) – ex. Pizza is a starch!…. (p. 32). 2
3) Staying on the 500 calories diet a little too long – per Dr. Simeons…. (p. 32).” 2
4) Not eating something for breakfast
5) Finish your dinner 3½ hours before bedtime.3
Important Phase 3 Information:
PROTEIN need not be watched carefully, while dairy and higher carbohydrate fruits and vegetables should be watched very carefully.2 Unless an adequate amount of protein is eaten as soon as the Phase 2 treatment is over, protein deficiency is bound to develop, and this inevitably causes the marked retention of water known as hunger-edema. A protein deficient diet makes the body retain water.1
In Phase 2, the patient has been only just above the verge of protein deficiency and has had the advantage of protein being fed back into his system from the breakdown of fatty tissue. Once the treatment is over, there is no more HCG in the body and this process no longer takes place. 1
Retention of water, known as hunger–edema, occurs when an adequate amount of protein is not eaten. The treatment is simple.
STEAK & CHEESE DAY: The person is told to eat two eggs for breakfast and a huge steak for lunch and dinner followed by a large helping of cheese. When this treatment is followed, two lbs. can vanish overnight, the swollen ankles are normal but sleep was disturbed, owing to an extraordinary need to pass large quantities of water.1
You should never gain more than 2 lbs. without immediately correcting this, but it is equally undesirable that more than 2 lbs. be lost after treatment because a greater loss is always achieved at the expense of normal fat. Any normal fat that is lost is invariably regained as soon as more food is taken, and it often appears that this rebound overshoots the 2 lbs. maximum limit.1
You MUST weigh everyday to make sure you have not gained more than 2 pounds since your last dose of HCG weight date. After a course of HCG, as much as 10 lbs. can be regained without any noticeable change in the fit of clothes. This occurs because you have lost pounds and inches. After treatment, newly acquired fat is at first evenly distributed and does not show the former preference for certain parts of the body.1
STEAK DAY: As long as the weight stays within two pounds of the weight reached on the day of the last dose, one should take no notice of any increase. However, the moment the scale goes beyond 2 lbs., even if this is only a few ounces, they must on that same day entirely skip breakfast and lunch but take plenty to drink. In the evening, they must eat a huge steak with only an apple or a raw tomato. This rule applies only to the morning weight. It is of the utmost importance that this be done on the same day as the scale registered an increase of more than two pounds from the weight you achieved on the last dose day. You must NOT postpone this protocol until the next day.1
TO AVOID A STEAK DAY: This method is not meant to take the place of a steak day. It is only intended to drop some weight when you are getting close to a required Steak Day.
If you see a Steak Day drawing near, you can do the following, which will usually bring your weight down a pound or so the next day. 1) Drink lots of water that day; 2) Don’t eat until lunch; 3) Have a whole can of tuna (water packed), or chicken with mayo on either lettuce or celery for lunch; 4) Have a big portion of protein for dinner with a small salad and 0-1 carbohydrate dressing (ex. Ranch); 5) If you are extremely hungry, you could also have 2 eggs for breakfast.2
Most patients hardly ever need to skip a meal. If they have eaten a heavy lunch they feel no desire to eat dinner, and in this case no increase in weight takes place. If they keep their weight at the point reached at the end of Phase 2, even a heavy dinner does not bring about an increase of two pounds on the next morning and does not, therefore, call for any special measures.1
Most patients are surprised how small their appetite has become and yet how much they can eat without gaining weight. They no longer suffer from an abnormal appetite and feel satisfied with much less food than before. In fact, they are usually disappointed that they cannot manage their first normal meal after completing Phase 2, which they have been planning for weeks.1
Organic is recommended so that you avoid consuming all of the things that are designed to overtax your hypothalamus and create the conditions of obesity. In real life, in the real world, eating only 100% organic food can be next to impossible. Basically then, what you work to achieve is to avoid, as best you can, the man-made ingredients that cause obesity. Remember, obesity and weight gain is generally not caused by calories, fat, simple or complex carbohydrates, foods with a high glycemic index rate, or sodium. Obesity and weight gain is has skyrocketed as we have incorporated the man-made ingredients, chemicals, and food processing techniques into our food. (p. 106).3
REFERENCES 1 “Pounds & Inches: A New Approach To Obesity”, Manuscript by A.T.W. Simeons, M.D. 2 HCG Weight Loss Cure Guide by Pounds and Inches Away, LLC, author Linda Prinster. 3 The Weight Loss Cure “They” Don’t Want You to Know About by Kevin Trudeau